pictured above: Christmas Celebration Cake Pumpkin Pie with "Leaves" Yule Log with Marzipan "Pine Cones"
with Walnuts and Frosted Fruit
Yummy foods you can enjoy with family and friends!
Delicious Pies and Tarts Authentic English Scones
Decadent Cakes Cinnamon Rolls
Jumbo Cookies Cozy Muffins
HOW TO CONTACT US Leave us a message at (812) 876-1207 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to discussing your order! We appreciate special orders being placed by Tuesday of each week, since we do our baking on Fridays. See below, "Where to Find Our Baked Goods," for locations where we'll be selling through March, 2014.
ABOUT US Pie First Bakery is dedicated to keeping alive the important American tradition of being able to enjoy scratch-baked pies and tarts, cookies, cakes, scones, muffins, cinnamon rolls, cheesecakes, quiche and other baked goods. We use only home-made, hand-rolled crusts, batters and doughs. Each baked good is made with quality ingredients such as real butter and whipping cream, the tastiest of fruits, along with the best spices and flavorings (e.g., vanilla from Madagascar, cinnamon from Sumatra, and freshly-grated nutmeg). You won't find any artificial ingredients or preservatives.
Louise learned how to make pies from her German grandmother, Nanee, and is passing along the tradition to her own grandchildren, Katie and Connor. It's become a custom that each time they get together, they make several pies. There's always special attention and much deliberation in deciding which pie-pan to use from Louise's collection of antique pans, and "inventing" all sorts of interesting pie filling combinations. Aprons come out, rolling pins are kept busy, flour and sugar coat the counters, and bowls of sugared fruit wait their turn. These are some of the best pies to come out of the ovens!
The idea for Pie First Bakery actually started in 2011 when Louise and Rick Miracle started searching for the "perfect" pie crust and filling after visiting as many pie shops as they could find throughout Indiana and Michigan. That adventure proved to be an elusive quest ~~ the art of pie making seems to be a vanishing skill. So, in the summer of 2012 they started Pie First Bakery by baking and selling pies and other baked goods at the summer Owen County Farmers' Market in Spencer, Indiana. After much positive feedback by satisfied customers (and developing a loyal following of pie enthusiasts!), they then sold pies and tarts at the 2012-2013 Bloomington Winter Farmers' Market in Bloomington, Indiana. Pie First Bakery was back at the 2013 summer Owen County Farmers' Market, and is now selling pies and tarts at the 2013-2014 Bloomington Winter Farmers' Market (see details below).
And, so that you can be rest-assured about the quality of our production, Pie First Bakery is a Certified Food Kitchen through both Monroe and Owen Counties' Boards of Health. Our promise to you for delicious baked goods produced in a quality kitchen. Whether it's a pie to go with that every-day or fancy occasion, a batch of fresh cinnamon rolls to share with the office, or a couple of scones to have with tea next to a cozy fire, let Pie First Bakery bring you the best baked goods from our ovens to you!
WHERE TO FIND OUR BAKED GOODS Pie First Bakery has finished the 2013-2014 Bloomington Winter Farmers' Market, and will be starting our 3rd year out at the Owen County Farmers' Market in Spencer starting Saturday May 3rd. The Owen County Market's hours are 9 AM until 1:00 PM, and the Market is located just next to Babb's SuperValue Market on Highway 46 in Spencer. Look for our bright pink tent! At the Market we will be selling baked goods such as pies, tarts, cookies, scones, muffins, and cinnamon rolls. Our other baked goods (see all our offerings listed below), such as cakes, cheesecakes, and quiche, will be on a special-order basis that can be picked up at the Market or through special arrangement. Please note: when placing a special order, we appreciate pre-payment by credit card or check -- we will discuss this with you at the time of your order.
NEWS FLASH! Need a quick lift in the form of a tart? Well ... you now can find Pie First Bakery's tarts at the Bloomingfood's Elm Heights Store (corner of Second Street and Fess in Bloomington). We are delighted to be there, and you'll find our tarts on the second floor in the Coffee Bistro. Stop by for a tart and a cuppa joe!
NEWS FLASH # 2! We are pleased to announce that as of March 6, 2014 Pie First Bakery is providing pies and cinnamon rolls at Bloomington's newest eatery, B'Town Diner on North Walnut (just off the north side of the Square). Stop by and check out their menu of breakfast entrees, great sandwiches and other "diner" foods.
We also provide pies and other baked goods to the Bloomington Country Club and partner as a vendor with Indiana University Memorial Union Catering, as well as private orders. Pie First Bakery is happy to discuss event ideas such as weddings, graduation parties, wedding and baby showers.
INVITE YOUR FRIENDS TO A "DOWNTON ABBEY" TEA PARTY! What better way to enjoy "Downton Abbey" than with an authentic English Afternoon Tea? We'll help you organize a "veddy Brrritish" tea party that will have you and your guests sure Lord and Lady Grantham are soon to arrive. Our English Afternoon Tea starts with delicate sandwiches followed by scones (with lashings of jam and butter!), and then an assortment of cakes and tarts. See the ENGLISH AFTERNOON TEA section below QUEEN OF HEARTS TARTS for our complete listing. As they say Across the Pond, "Pinkies up!"
If you would like to learn more about Louise and Rick, check out articles written in the Herald-Times newspaper (Bloomington, IN) for the following dates: Wednesday November 10, 2004; Wednesday February 17, 2010; Wednesday November 23, 2011; and Friday November 23, 2013.
Now, our Menu of Baked Goods for You to Enjoy!
SEASONAL SPECIALTY! Through the 2013-2014 winter, we're offering Old-Fashioned Hoosier Persimmon Pudding. This is from an old family recipe, and comes to you baked in a 13x9-inch pan. $20.00
BRAND-NEW ADDITION TO OUR BAKED GOODS! We've finally perfected a pie crust that is made with gluten-free ingredients, and passes our impossibly discriminating standards. We wanted a crust that tastes like a fancy confection, not something crumbly, grainy and bland. And so, we're now ready to bake up a pie or tart for that special person in your life who loves pie but hasn't been able to have their "pie and eat it, too." See our description listed below under Fancy Specialty Pies. (Please note, our kitchen is not a strict gluten-free kitchen. While we provide gluten-free ingredients in this line of delicious baked goods, we want to be sure our especially gluten-intolerant customers are aware of this caveat.)
PIES FOR YOUR INDULGENCE Our flakey, buttery crusts are home-made and hand-rolled. Each pie is 9-inch with a double-crust unless specified and presented to you in a real (not flimsy foil) metal pie-pan. Each fruit pie is "fruit-heavy" with at least 6 cups of fruit and not overly sweetened or thickened; the fruit speaks for itself! You'll also notice that our pies have "names" because we have found that pies have personalities. Which one sounds good to you for today?
Every-Day Favorite Pies ($22.00 per pie)
* Just Plain Apple-of-Your-Eye Pie
* Apple Buttermilk Pie with Streusel Crust
* Nanee's Original Apricot Pie
* Tart and Juicy Cherry Pie with Lattice Crust
* Fabulous Apple~Cherry Pie
* Berry Delicious Apple~Berry Pie
* The Best Blueberry Pie in Your Life Pie
* Ohmygosh Rhubarb (or Strawberry~Rhubarb) Pie
* Peachy-Keen Peach Pie
* Double-Your-Fun Peach and Cherry Pie
* Verry Berry Pie (a delicious combination of blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries)
* That's It! Old-Fashioned Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie (no top crust, adapted from the former Groves Restaurant recipe)
* Aunt Mimi's Decadent Southern Pecan Pie (no top crust)
* Pumpkin Melt-in-Your-Mouth Pie (no top crust; add $2.00 for dough "leaves" or Candied Pecans)
* Raisin' the Roof Raisin Pie (lattice crust)
* Olde English Mince Pie with Lattice Crust (seasonal)
Fancy Speciality Pies (Pies for those fancy ~or anytime!~ occasions; no top crust unless specified; $24.00 per pie or
* Dreamy Chocolate Cream Pie (with meringue or real whipped cream topping)
* Dreamy Banana Cream Pie (with meringue or real whipped cream topping)
* Beyond-Your-Dreams Coconut Cream Pie (with meringue or real whipped cream topping)
* Totally Tangy Lemon Meringue Pie (with meringue or whipped cream topping)
* Are-You-Kidding Tropical Mango and Coconut Cream Pie (when mangoes are in season, with real whipped cream topping)
* Nanee's Detroit-Years Butterscotch Pie (with meringue or real whipped cream topping)
* Extra-Creamy Vanilla Cream Pie (with real whipped cream topping)
* Everglades Key Lime Pie (with meringue or real whipped cream topping; $25,00 for real Key limes when available;
otherwise, with regular Persian limes $24.00)
* On-the-Banks of the Mississippi Mud Pie
* Roasted Apple Pie with Apricot Glaze
* Authentic Shaker Lemon Pie
* Fancy Pear Frangipane Pie
* German Plum Custard Pie
* Decadent Raspberry Ganache Pie topped with fresh Raspberries ($25.00 due to some pricey chocolate!)
* Traditional Cranberry Pie with Almond Nut Crust
* Evan's Caramel~Walnut and Dried Cherry Pie with Chocolate Drizzle
* Chocolate~Walnut Pie with Chocolate Drizzle
* French Silk Chocolate Pie with Walnut Garnish ($25.00 due to that same pricey chocolate!!)
* Nuts-for-Macadamia Nut Pie
* Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
AND ... WE WELCOME SPECIAL ORDERS FOR YOUR MOST WONDERFUL PIE WHIMS!
QUEEN OF HEART TARTS Each is a 4-inch tart with any of the above pie fillings, or the following tasty choices. Tarts can have either a shortbread or "regular" pie crust base. $4.00 per tart. Please note: minimum orders are 6 tarts per type of filling.
* Believe-It-or-Not Nutella Tart
* French Plum Tart
* Poached Pear Tart
* Milk-Chocolate Pistachio Tart
* Cram-Full-of-Cranberries Tart (seasonal)
* French Silk Chocolate Tart with Walnut Garnish (this tart is really a "grown-up" truffle!)
* Italian Walnut Tart
* Zesty Lemony Custard Tart
* Rhubarb and Ginger Tart
* Peach and Ginger Tart
* Peach and Mango Tart
* Caramel~Pecan Tart with White Chocolate Ganache
* Chocolate Almond (Marzipan) Raspberry Tart
* Apricot Marzipan Tart
* Apple Walnut Ginger Tart
* French Silk Chocolate Tart with Chocolate Glaze (whew! this one is r-e-a-l-l-y for the chocolate lover!)
* Pear Hazelnut Tart
PIES AND TARTS MADE WITH GLUTEN-FREE INGREDIENTS As promised above, we now offer pies and tarts made with gluten-free ingredients for your delectable enjoyment! Our "secret recipe" includes a combination of almond flour, tapioca flour and white rice flour, all combined with shortening and butter to produce the most flakey crust you can imagine. It has a wonderful flavor and you won't believe it's made with gluten-free ingredients! Let us know what most appeals to you in terms of filling, and we'll have you sitting down to a piece of downright great pie or tucking into a yummy tart, finally, at your heart's content! Each 9-inch pie is priced at $24.00, and each tart is $4.50 (minimum 6 tarts per filling type). As cited earlier, our kitchen is not a strict gluten-free kitchen, and while we use gluten-free ingredients, we want our especially gluten-intolerant customers to be aware of this caveat.
ENGLISH AFTERNOON TEA As described above, we'd love to help you put together an authentic English Afternoon Tea Party for your honored guests. As you probably already know, an "Afternoon Tea" is not the same as a "High Tea," although they are frequently mistaken here in the States. The Afternoon Tea includes all that you'll find below and is usually served in the afternoon (of course!) at side tables, whilst (note the British accent here!) the High Tea is similar to our "supper" and is served at the higher dining room table, hence the term "High Tea." An Afternoon Tea can be enjoyed anywhere in your home or garden any season ~~ such as armchairs by the fireside, in your living room watching the Fall leaves, or on your porch amidst hummingbirds and geranium. We have the following choices for an Afternoon Tea, and would be so very happy to help you select a menu to suit your occasion.
Dainty Tea Sandwiches Served on thinly-sliced, crustless white or wholewheat bread cut into 2 triangles per sandwich; each sandwich is $2.00.
* Cucumber and Dill on plain buttered bread
* Thinly-sliced Ham and Mustard
* Thinly-sliced Roast Beef with Chutney
* Sharp Cheddar with Chutney
* Date and Cream Cheese
* Anchovy Butter (a real British delicacy!)
Scones See our choices below under Scones from Across the Pond.
British Tea Cakes, Tarts and Breads These are traditional tea-time favorites and are separately priced.
* Mrs. Pettigrew's Famous Lemon Cake (9-inch Bundt cake, $20.00)
* Marmalade Tea Loaf ($20.00)
* Bakewell Tarts (these little tarts are from the village of Bakewell in Derbyshire; pastry-lined tartlets filled with
almond batter and raspberry jam; $2.00 per tart; minimum order of 10 tarts)
* Eccles Cakes (another traditional British small cake consisting of pastry enclosing a filling of candied peels and
currants; $2.00 per cake; minimum order of 10 cakes)
* Frangipani Tarts (small pastry-lined tartlets filled with ground almonds and apricot jam; $2.00 per tart; minimum
order of 10 tarts)
* Lemon Tarts (pastry-lined tartlets filled with lemon curd; $2.00 per tart; minimum order of 10 tarts)
* Maids of Honour (another little tartlet, said to be the favorite of Anne Boleyn and her "maids of honour"; pastry-
lined tartlets filled with an almond, lemon, purreed cottage-cheese mixture -- very pretty for any tea table; $2.00 per
tart; minimum order of 10 tarts)
* Madeira Cake (single-layer sponge cake with lemony flavor; $20.00)
* Old English Cider Cake with Ginger~ Cream Cheese Frosting (loaf cake; $20.00)
* Victoria Sponge Cake (an 8-inch double-layer sponge cake filled with raspberry jam and dusted with powdered sugar;
Our hope is that these traditional English Afternoon Tea sandwiches, scones, cakes and tartlets will inspire you to
plan a cozy and sumptuous Afternoon Tea. And, of course, we recommend they all be accompanied by "lashings of tea, jam and clotted cream!" (Isn't that a great British phrase? "Lashings" means "lots of"!)
CHEESECAKES FOR EVERY REASON There are just some times when cheesecake "speaks" to us! And to that end, we're offering an array of delectable choices for whatever the occasion. Each is a 9-inch round cheesecake and some are specially priced depending on their decadent natures.
* Classic Creamy New York Cheesecake with Graham Cracker Crust ($25.00)
* Marbled Chocolate and Vanilla Cheesecake with Cookie Crust ($25.00)
* Chocolate Cheesecake with Almond Crust ($25.00)
* Creamy Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Chocolate Crust ($25.00)
* Holiday Fancy Cheesecake with Rosy Cranberry Glaze ($25.00)
* Chocolate Amaretto Cheesecake with Coconut-Almond Crust ($30.00)
* Triple Chocolate Cheesecake with Chocolate Cookie Crust ($30.00)
* Raspberry~Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake with Chocolate Crust ($30.00)
* Fancy-Pancy Creamy Cheesecake with Phyllo Crust and Caramel~Pecan Sauce ($40.00)
CAKES FOR YOUR DELIGHT All cakes are 9-inch, 2-layered unless specified; separately priced.
* Fudglicious Chocolate Cake with Over-the-Top Chocolate Frosting with Chocolate Curls ($25.00)
* German Chocolate Cake with Over-the-Top Chocolate Frosting and Coconut-Pecan Filling ($30.00)
* Sent-from-Heaven White Cake with Chocolate or Vanilla Frosting with White Chocolate Curls ($25.00)
* Poppy Seed Cake with Cream Cheese Icing ($25.00)
* California Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing ($25.00)
* Menlo Park Applesauce~Walnut Cake ($25.00)
* Tangy Triple Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd and Lemony Frosting ($25.00)
* Old -Fashioned Gingerbread with Cream Cheese Frosting ($25.00)
* Mrs. Hawley's Pound Cake ($30.00)
* Christmas Fruitcake ($30.00, seasonal)
* Christmas Yule Log with Marzipan "Pine Cones" ($45.00, available during the Christmas season; see photo at top)
* Christmas Celebration Cake with Ground Walnuts and Frosted Fruit; this special cake has two chocolate layers with a
cheesecake layer between -- beyond decadent! ($45.00, available anytime; see photo at top)
* German Baumkuchen ($45.00, a real show-stopper, micro-thin 20-layer cake with Sourcream/Cherry Filling and
COOKIES FOR YOUR INNER CHILD Each cookie is J-U-M-B-0 and priced at $2.00 per cookie. Please note: minimum orders are 6 cookies per type of cookie.
* Chock-Full-of-Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
* Mile-Wide Peanut Buttery Cookies
* Amish Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies
* Double Chocolate (almost Brownies!) Delights (want something exceptional to go with your 'cuppa joe? These have
ground/crushed espresso beans!)
* White Chocolate~Cashew Nut Cookies
* Old-Fashioned Molasses Cookies
* Authentic Biscotti ~~ Almond or Chocolate (these are large biscotti, great for dipping into your morning coffee!)
THE BEST-EVER GOOEY CINNAMON ROLLS! After 2 years of experiments, these have been pronounced by family and friends as the "best ever" cinnamon rolls. Each is big enough for a small army, moist, and, yes, very gooey! Each roll is liberally drizzled with a rich cream-cheese frosting that melts down into the dough. Maybe the best "comfort food" ever invented. $4.00 per roll. Please note: minimum orders are 12 rolls. These rolls freeze really well!
SCONES FROM ACROSS THE POND These are authentic English tea-time scones (pronounced "skawns") using a recipe obtained from a tea-shop in Bath, England. Our scones are buttery and baked til just-done to create even more moistness. Nestled by a cozy fire with a pot of tea and our scones, well, it doesn't get any better! $2.50 per scone.
Please note: minimum orders are 6 scones per type of scone.
* English Victorian Afternoon Tea Scones (Louise's favorite with jam and clotted cream)
* Cranberry~Walnut Scones
* Orange~Almond Scones
* Lemon~Poppyseed Scones
* Scottish Oat and Currant Scones
COZY MUFFINS Each muffin is topped with a yummy streusel and comes in a fancy "tulip" paper cup.
$3.00 per muffin. Please note: minimum orders are 6 muffins per type of muffin.
* Pumpkin~Applesauce Muffins
* Just Plain Blueberry Muffins
* Date~Walnut Muffins
* Banana~Walnut Muffins
* Sour Cream~Pecan Coffeecake Muffins
NEAUVEAU RICHE QUICHE This is a new offering as of the Winter of 2013-2014. Each is 10-inch wide, 1-inch deep with an exceptionally buttery crust and creamy filling; $20.00
* Jarlsberg Cheese with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
* Quiche Lorraine (classic quiche with Swiss Cheese, bacon and nutmeg)
QUICHE TARTS These tarts are 4-inch diameter versions of the Neauveau Riche Quiches described above; $4.00
each tart. Please note: minimum orders are 6 tarts per type of tart.
That's it, Folks! Is there something you're looking for that you don't see here?
Just let us know and we'll do our very best to create that "Something Special" just for you!